The Pink Hug project was launched in October as a multi-activity awareness campaign across the Syrian geography, to raise awareness of breast cancer and the need for early detection, as we worked to raise awareness and break the barrier of fear of speaking about it.
This phase included 5 activities:
An awareness campaign on social media about breast cancer and the need for early detection:
- The launch of a special Facebook page for the project, which at the end of the campaign reached 5,300 likes.
- Production and publication of medical media outputs of articles and research.
- Infographic focusing on women's health issues.
Live dialogue sessions to raise awareness of breast cancer and early detection mechanisms
450 women and young women from 15 Syrian cities were targeted, and it was implemented in cooperation with 20 local partners from civil teams and organizations active in these cities.
The "Karmalan ... We will walk" in the Qalamoun area, on 24-10-2015
He set off from Nabek City towards the Medical City with the aim of breaking the barrier of fear about breast cancer and making early detection, and ended with providing a free "mammogram and echo" examination within the Qalamoun Medical City for all women who participated in the walk.
Using art and music to raise awareness about breast cancer and the need for early detection through:
- A concert was held at the Opera House in Damascus on November 5, 2015 to highlight the procedure for early detection of breast cancer, as the proceeds of the concert were used to contribute to the purchase of examination coupons that were distributed to female breadwinners and displaced women within the marginalized neighborhoods.
- Holding an exhibition of plastic paintings and pictures entitled "Pink Body" in Damascus on October 31, 2015, with the participation of 14 artists from different - Syrian regions, with the aim of changing the perception of art as a tool for expressing societal needs, as well as in order to form an artistic feminist movement and encourage them to continue to present their artistic vision And their thoughts are without restrictions.
- Working with a group of mobile medical teams to conduct early detection examinations for female breadwinners and displaced women, in cooperation with the Damascus Doctors Syndicate and the Family Planning Association, and distributing 211 free breast examination coupons and awareness publications about breast cancer and the method of self-detection within the marginalized areas and neighborhoods in Damascus (Aisha River Behind the Abbasid Stadium, Masaken Barzeh).
Our most prominent achievements during this phase:
- Unifying the efforts of 21 civil work organizations and women's teams in one campaign.
- Promote awareness of the need to conduct early detection screening for breast cancer among 661 women from different regions and societal backgrounds (female breadwinners and heads of families, internally displaced ...).
- Breaking the barrier of fear and societal stigma related to cancer in general and breast cancer in particular.
- Involving young artists in the field of drawing and music in women's issues and expressing societal needs without restrictions and in various forms.